Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > Questions for Support Re Older and newe...
Questions for Support Re Older and newer versions DS708 software on separate SD cards

2950 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: 2015-09-08 03:01:31

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-08-29 12:37:21
        Hi Support, I have a DS 708 where my update subscription expired a year ago. It runs a 16gb class4 Sandisk SD card that I made from my copied  software of a class 3 16GB Sandisk SD card that  I used from the beginning, and saved the class 3 card as a backup. If my DS708 is powered down and  unplugged from power and I decide to remove the present class 4 16GB card  and try the original 4GB card with earlier vehicle software version  (and earlier system software the unit came shipped with) to check if an older software version might offer  something the later version lost, would I be setting up my  DS708  for a disaster to try the older card every now and then?  Would you strongly advise against trying it ?
       Another question if someone buys another year of  updates for  DS 708 to get newer car coverage and wants to keep an SD card with all the older expired software versions on it for fear of losing some older OE functions , would he be able to swap out the older and newer card in the DS708 and could be expected to  work if  needed?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-08-31 15:58:58 (Reply to:witsend)
     Bump ....... Hey Guys , ok then I guess  support don't want  to commit to answer the 2 basic questions I posted a couple days back. Does any one know then ?, Maybe Eric from Autel.US ? . Basically I just want to know if after a system update or two, if for one reason or another I wanted to archive my older 4gb software card with the software  it originally shipped with, then put my newer card back in afterwards, could it cause a problem where the later 16gb  software card be rejected with a message akin to I don't have  authorization to use it and be forced to purchase another year of updates to get the authorization to use it again ?ROFLMAO  Basically will older software cards that worked before and later cards that worked before , are they Hot Swappable or not.? (Duh,  of course after scanner is shut down before swapping the cards, LOL)
        If they are hot swappable like old Snap On MT2500cartridges were, will the cards no longer function  after I buy a new year of updates , because my register password or system version  changed?
    ANYONE CAN VENTURE A REPLY

•   Level 4   
    (111) points
    taly

2015-09-01 16:25:41 (Reply to:witsend)

hi witsend can't see there being a problem using old software on separate sd card as each individual car software is authorised by the authorisation txt file in each car car file and is run by the ds708 software on the card.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-09-02 13:16:47 (Reply to:taly)
     Thanks Taly , been out of my free update period over a year already and I do have another 16GB backup card of it's present software in case the card in did become corrupted. I do have that original 4gb card , just the way it came out of the box. I never used the 4gb card before, The contents were copied and saved in my PC and transferred to a 16GB card before I even turned on the unit , registered it  and updated the software immediately, so DS708 only seen 2- 16gb cards in it since I've owned it. I don't think any make's software started losing some OE level functionality until later updates that took away the factory logos and I read guys on forum complaining about alleged software downgrading.
      I'm too scared to experiment trying the original 4gb software card , then it reverts to earlier settings or Chinese text and find the later cards no longer work in it and be forced to buy a year of post lawsuit updates of Autels Beta Testing hit or miss software on me for another year . LOL, I am sitting in limbo wishing to hear progress, more  reports about more positive experiences , and added OE functionality restored to new updates, but other than seeing 912 guy being impressed with the new European BMW software which is a good thing, I will probably wait for a dire need for newer car coverage before I decide to upgrade to a MaxiSys any time soon. I was hoping to sell my DS708 as is and use the money toward offsetting some expense of upgrading to the newer maxisys , but without Critical thinking  guys like Ede65 reporting all lost functionality was restored and more functions added besides, why upgrade to something else for awhile?

•   Level 4   
    (111) points
    taly

2015-09-06 11:33:53 (Reply to:witsend)

hi witsend have you tried  the original card yet can't see there being a problem as the software runs off the card
    if the original card has not been in the ds708 and powered up you just power up on-line and it will authorise the card to work
    I would still keep backup file of card on pc. I  also want to order the maxisys pro but how long before we here some positive feedback
    I was reading some legal r anglings somewhere on Google were in there opinion ford didn't really have a case something about digital copyrite being difficult to pin-down but as anybody any idea how long this dispute is likely to take as I think it is going to be affecting autels
    sales and the knock-on effect  to that is worse or less software updates as they still have to pay the staff.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-09-06 16:05:30 (Reply to:taly)
     Thanks,   My DS 708 is working still (knock on wood). The more I think about  wanting  to try that original 4gb card (Unless I was still within my free update period or my software card got corrupted , and I didn't have a back up of the current software on another 16gb card), the less I am inclined to take the risk to be forced to update my DS 708.
       Here in the USA , for a limited time,a tempting deal,  there is a dealer offering an extra year of updates and a free videoscope with the already discounted price of the MS908P, so hopefully within a 2 year period any lost OE functionality that occurred will have been restored by then along with added new vehicle coverage. It would  be nice to defer the extra year of free updates for an extra year if  you wanted to kick the extra year of updates  down the road another 12months before updating for another year, LOL

http://www.aeswave.com/Autel-MaxiSYS-PRO-MS908P-Diagnostic-System-with-Wireless-VCI-J-2534-p9203.html

•   Level 10   
    (10965) points
    Autel Support

2015-09-08 03:01:31 (Reply to:witsend)

Hi Witsend, if you saved the whole 4G SD card (not just the Make file in the card) including the authorization file and system program then there is no authorization problem. You can use the original SD card on the device now if the software on the SD card is not corrupt. Also kindly be noted that register password cannot be changed all the time. Thanks! 
  Total1 Pages